- This event has passed.
Let’s Talk about Racial Discrimination
January 26 @ 1:30 pm - 5:00 pm| Free
Australia Day 2017 event
Reconciliation Queensland will host a Q&A-style event on Australia Day to talk about racial discrimination.
What is racial discrimination? What is racial vilification? What is racism? What about freedom of speech? Can an artwork, a performance, an exhibition be regarded as discriminatory?
Join Reconciliation Queensland at Arana Leagues Club, 247 Dawson Parade, Keperra, for a Q&A-style event hosted by former Senator Andrew Bartlett. Panellists include:
- Torres Strait Islander elder, Uncle Thomas Sebasio (pictured)
- Murri Elder, author and Aboriginal rights activist, Lesley Williams
- Queensland’s Anti-Discrimination Commissioner, Kevin Cocks AM
- Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations, Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Hon Grace Grace MP
- Cultural change advocate, workshop facilitator and speaker, Grant Sarra.
- Vice President, Australians for Native Title and Reconciliation (ANTaR) Queensland, Wayne Sanderson
Put a big circle in your 2017 diary on 26th January to remind yourself to come along and join us on Australia Day.
Entry is free, but donations will be gratefully received. Display tables will be available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses and community organisations for just $10 (or free for non-profits).
Please bring donations of non‐paper school stationery items (e.g. rulers, pencils, erasers, pens etc.) for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in remote areas of Queensland.
RSVP: email email@example.com or call Rosalie on 0448 468 618. Please advise of any dietary requirements at time of RSVP.