Sunshine Coast Reconciliation Group
Our purpose: Promote an ongoing process of reconciliation within Queensland
- Facilitating and supporting mutually respectful and engaging relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Queenslanders.
- Creating an environment for greater understanding of the unique position, diversity of cultures, languages and histories of Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Providing an improved understanding of Australian history and contemporary issues from an Indigenous Australian perspective and advocating against injustices suffered by Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Opportunities to support the educational and training desires of Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander people.
Some activities of the SCRG include:
- Annual Coastal Walk
- Shared History forums
- Schools interaction (bursaries, graduation medals, homework clubs, special events)
- NAIDOC Day at Cotton Tree participation
- Networking with Sunshine Coast community groups
- Satchels regularly sent to remote communities and Tent Embassy (clothes and other goods)
- Facilitate the transport of blankets and bulky items to remote communities.
However, concerning inclusion and equity goals:
- Where do we go from here?
- What are our future milestones?
- How do we accomplish them?
Will you come and be a part of our story?